Saturday, January 14, 2006

Gulp. . .

This is scary. I'm not sure if I'm going to do it yet. I have some questions first.

My friend, Kyle, pointed out to me that I have spelled hiraeth incorrectly in my URL when I set up my blog. (serve me right for choosing a Welsh word, eh?) I've known this and it has caused a few problems but not many. He recommended that I go in and change the URL. I thought that I couldn't do it because back in October that URL was taken, however, it is free now so change is a possibility.

This is my question: If I go ahead and do this, will all the previous links that people have made to my blog be useless or will they continue to work somehow? I would really like to have the URL match the name of the blog, but I don't want to a. lose the last four months b. lose readers c. lose links.

Today is a very busy day so I probably won't have time to research how to do this. If I do decide to go ahead and do this (gulp) I will make note of it here on the blog a day or two before I do it, just in case.

Any advice? warnings? helpful suggestions? Any and all would be most appreciated.

And by the way, Kyle, thanks! :) (I think. . .)

7 Comments:

Blogger Carol said...

You may not lose readers if you announce it in advance and post comments or email bloggers you know visit here/link here. It won't hurt us to tweak our links.

The problem for most of us are all the other links. You, however, may not be in that situation. If you haven't joined a bunch of aggregators, and I don't really see any in your side bar, you may be okay.

9:11 AM  
Blogger Rebecca Stark said...

What Carol said.

If you are going to do it, now is better than later, because the longer you wait, the more links you'll have to lose.

10:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Plus, you could just add the other blog and keep this one, to have it point to the other. Even if you copy everything from here over there, a duplicate blog can't hurt you.

After a while you'll have soooo many links to the other one, out there in cyberspace, you won't feel bad deleting this blog. ?maybe?

1:25 PM  
Blogger Kim from Hiraeth said...

Well, I've at least decided to reserve the spot for now so someone else can't get it again.

If I decide to do it, it won't be until I have enough time to devote to it, so I'll be able to give a heads-up to my readers. I'm wondering if it could be as simple as making a spot in the new side bar for the old months and copying the URL for the whole month, then keeping the old one and just not updating it. I'll have to figure out the best and EASIEST way to do this. Thanks for your suggestions!

You know, it's not as though I have all that many links at this point(*grin*) but I do appreciate the ones I have and want to keep them as long as they want to stay.

BTW, what is an aggregator?.

3:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You'll lose those links and any links you don't know about...but what you can do is buy both the mispelled and the correct spelling then have them both redirect to here. That way, you still get the links pointing to your website. Then when you're ready to switch you can use the correct url and have the mispelled redirect to the correct spelling.

8:23 PM  
Blogger Kim from Hiraeth said...

Hi Alyice! Welcome! Thanks for your advice.

Hello, all:

I've thought about this a lot today while I was out and about doing other things and I guess if I lose some links, I lose some links. That's not such a big deal to me. What matters is that the folks who have been kind enough to visit here can find me.

10:07 PM  
Blogger Kyjo said...

You're welcome! ;)

10:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home