Thursday, January 12, 2006

I'm having a senior moment

I can't remember the name of a book that I've read several times to the boys when they were younger. Last time was about 10 years ago when Sam was in Kindergarten or first grade. It's about a well educated, civilized mouse who takes his young wife on a picnic and ends up getting swept away in a storm and is marooned on an island. It's a wonderful book and it really bugs me that I can't remember the title or the author or even the mouse's name. Might have had island in the title.

SOMEBODY has to remember the name of this book! Please! I don't want to have to go up to the cold attic tomorrow and rummage around in the boxes to find it!

[update]

Nevermind, *grin*, it was the first thing that popped into my head this morning. Abel's Island. by William Steig. (Although I did have to go to Amazon to come up with the author) You can get it new or used, hardback or paperback for a song at Amazon so if you have young children and you've never read it to them, or if your kids are ready to read a "real book" on their own, I highly recommend it.

From the back cover: "With inimitable style, Steig tells the story of a mouse, Abelard Hassam di Chirico Flint, who gets swept away in a driving rainstorm while rescuing his wife's scarf and winds up stranded on a river island for a year. Abel isn't just any mouse. He is a fastidious Edwardian dandy who's inherited wealth ensures the leisurely comforts he takes such pleasure in. But Abel's high toned life of leisure conceals a soul full of true grit: once faced with the necessity of survival, Abel rises to the challenge."--Starred/Booklist

1 Comments:

Blogger Carol said...

Okay. So, it's fine that I couldn't remember the word 'comforter' (as in bed covering) when I was typing a post a little while ago? I'm not a freak?

whew...That was close.

10:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home