Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Chocolate Peppermint Pinwheel Cookies


Time to make cookies!

I was reminded this morning by TulipGirl that the Christmas baking season is upon us. She will be making Gingerbread Men. Sounds like a wonderful recipe--I'm going to give it a go this year, too. Since one good turn deserves another, I decided to post the recipe for the cookies I made last year for the first time: Chocolate Peppermint Pinwheel Cookies. This recipe is copyrighted by the Food Network, so you'll have to follow the link. You can see this recipe prepared on "Good Eats" with Alton Brown on Wednesday Dec. 14 at 2:00 AM ET/PT on the Food Network. (end of commercial)

Chocolate Peppermint Pinwheel Cookies

These are gorgeous, delicious cookies. Rolling them up into pinwheels is a bit tricky but if I can do it, you can too!

[UPDATE] A lot of people are "googling" this recipe, so I've added a picture.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How do you keep the chocolate dough from cracking?

9:38 AM  
Blogger Kim from Hiraeth said...

The chocolate dough is drier. I formed my chocolate dough into a log and pressed it together real well. I placed it on waxed paper dusted with powdered sugar and dusted both the top of the log and my rolling pin, too. Then I rolled out gently, taking time to push the dough together from the sides and the ends--roll a little then press back into shape, roll a little more and press the edges. This way, the edges kept from crumbling. Place the peppermint dough on top and begin to roll up slowly, using the waxed paper as you roll. I compressed the log with my hands as I was rolling--just gently squeezed it as I rolled.

Then, once both layers are rolled up together in a log, pat the ends together a bit before you start cutting. I think that cutting with a serrated knife works best.

Hope that helps!

9:59 AM  
Blogger Kim from Hiraeth said...

Oh, and do wrap the log in plastic wrap and refrigerate for an hour or so before trying to slice. That gives the layers a chance to stick together a bit.

10:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home