Friday, December 02, 2005

JE Resolution 3


3. Resolved, if ever I shall fall and grow dull, so as to neglect to keep any part of these Resolutions, to repent of all I can remember, when I come to myself again.

“If ever I shall fall and grow dull. . .”

How easy it is to fall and grow dull! I find myself repenting of that frequently, but notice what JE says: he resolves “to repent of all I can remember, when I come to myself." I wonder if it is so easy for me to fall and grow dull because instead of repenting of my sins and calling them by name, I am content to repent of generalities like “growing dull.”

O that God would help me to discover all the flaws and defects of my temper and conversation, and help me in the difficult work of amending them; and that he would grant me so full a measure of vital Christianity, that the foundation of all these disagreeable irregularities may be destroyed, and the contrary sweetnesses and beauties may of themselves naturally follow.

The Diary of Jonathan Edwards
May 4, 1723


[UPDATE: Please take a few minutes to visit Kim at The Upward Call and read her reflections on Resolution 3]

2 Comments:

Blogger Kim said...

Oh, you're on number 3 already!

I haven't even thought about number 1 yet...busy week. I've got some "all alone in the house time" coming up this morning. Getting started!

Btw, thanks for visiting my daughter's blog. She was so tickled to see the comment.

6:49 AM  
Blogger Kim from Hiraeth said...

That's OK! I'm delighted that you're following along! I'm hoping that there will be some discussion in the comments. I know that I would benefit from "the thoughts and insights of other bloggers' (and others') brains."

And I am going to slow down a bit. I'm going to take the weekends off in order to prepare the next week's posts. That's how I'll be redeeming the time on my Sunday afternoons.

So, you are not behind!

8:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home