Wednesday, November 30, 2005

JE's caveat


Jonathan Edwards (JE from now on) began his resolutions with this caveat (or explanation to prevent a misinterpretation):

BEING SENSIBLE THAT I AM UNABLE TO DO ANYTHING WITHOUT GOD'S HELP, I DO HUMBLY ENTREAT HIM BY HIS GRACE TO ENABLE ME TO KEEP THESE RESOLUTIONS, SO FAR AS THEY ARE AGREEABLE TO HIS WILL, FOR CHRIST'S SAKE.


In it, he admits several things which we would do well to remember as well.

He realizes that he is unable to do ANYTHING without God's help, not just the keeping of the resolutions.

He needs the enabling of God's grace to help him keep them, and seeks it.

He realizes that his resolutions must be agreeable to His will, and

His keeping of the resolutions must be for Christ's sake.

3 Comments:

Blogger Pilgrim said...

I really like your tag line up there. I have that feeling sometimes, and didn't have name for it.

8:52 PM  
Blogger Randi said...

I just ordered a book about Mr. Edwards and this is the second mention of him I have seen in the last couple of days. Now I am looking forward to getting my book!

8:00 AM  
Blogger Kim from Hiraeth said...

Welcome, Julana!

It is good to have a name for that feeling, isn't it?

Hi Randi,

What book did you order? Was it the Iain Murray bio? I have read part of that and it was good but before I finished it my Complete Works of Jonathan Edwards came in the mail and I set it aside. That reminds me; it was a borrowed book so I need to return it to its owner!

11:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home