Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Thankful for Katy

This morning I am thankful for Katy.

Katy loves dogs. Being disabled, it takes a great deal of concentration and effort for her to coordinate her movements. But Katy is a determined young lady and last night she was determined to pet our dogs.

We had had the dogs crated while we were eating dinner, but with that extra special doggy sense of when the meal was winding down and scraps might be forthcoming, Eve began to whine and ask to get out. I wish you could have seen Katy's delight when Eve came skidding into the dining room, wagging and sniffing; so happy to see visitors.

Katy worked and worked until she could reach out and get her hands on Eve to pet her. She wanted to share her food with Eve, so she clutched a tiny piece in her hand and offered it to Eve. Grasping is easier than releasing for Katy, but Eve was so gentle and patient and between the two of them, they worked together until Eve got the treat.

After seeing how much Katy was enjoying Eve, we decided to let Ivy come to the party. Now, mind you, Ivy is not like Eve (yet). Vizslas have a long puppyhood and at 2 1/2, Ivy is still very much a puppy. Lively is a nice word--wild might be closer to the truth at times. She runs and wiggles and leaps through the house like a red blurrrrr. Ivy came busting into the room like a red whirling dervish and within seconds had greeted everyone and kissed Katy on the cheek. Katy loved it! I think it was hard for her to focus on Ivy with her swift movements, but that only added to her wonder and joy.

I can't begin to tell you how much we enjoyed watching Katy with the dogs. Her enjoyment of them was not hampered in the least by the effort required for her to interact with them.

I am so thankful for Katy; for her happiness and excitement. For her determination and her sense of accomplishment. For reminding me that disabled does not mean unabled. There is nothing "unabled" about Katy.

4 Comments:

Blogger Donna Boucher said...

Such a sweet encounter.

*sniff*
*sniff*

7:39 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

What a delightful glimpse into your daughter's life. Thank you so much. My daughter will enjoy the story even more. She's 13 and fully accepting of the heart God gave her for girls like Katy (and, dogs like Ivy and Eve!).

You are truly blessed!

10:51 PM  
Blogger Kim from Hiraeth said...

Hello, Carol!

Katy is our friend, and the daughter of our friend, David. (She had come to our home for dinner.) I have known her for about two years and she has grown very, very dear to me--to our whole family!

I guess I need to remember that not everyone reading the blog is part of my family! Some details would be helpful. wouldn't they?! Thank you for that reminder!

I'm so glad you enjoyed reading about Katy. She really is a remarkable young lady.

5:47 AM  
Blogger Carol said...

Oops. My bad for making assumptions.

My daughter wants to meet Katy now. She has a friend at school with CP and Katy reminded her of Lauren. Might be time to have Lauren over for another "play" date. (Do they still play at 13? I think they just "hang out" now.)

3:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home