Wednesday, November 16, 2005

First Snow


I have always loved the first snow of the season--there is something magical about it, even if it is only a dusting, like we have this year.

As a child, I remember sitting in a third or fourth grade classroom on the second floor of Osborn Elementary School, dreamily watching the first snowfall of the season come drifting down in big, fat flakes and wishing I could be outside, feeling them fall onto my upturned face, just like Linus and Lucy in "A Charlie Brown Christmas."

I loved waking my boys up in the morning and announcing, "Look out your window! It snowed last night!" Watching their excitement as they wiped the fog of their breath away from the window is one of my favorite memories of the boys. My boys are grown now and would rather sleep undisturbed, but I still have the urge to make the yearly snow announcement. In fact I did just that this morning. Sam groaned and rolled over. I'm not sure he even heard. But I have hope that someday, he'll see the first snow through the eyes of a father and announce to his children, "Look out your window! It snowed last night!"

3 Comments:

Blogger Patricia said...

I love those photographs! My daughter and I both experienced snow for the first time last January when we attending the presidential inauguration in D.C. I clearly remember my daughter's excitement when we walked outside the Canon Building just as the first snowflakes began to fall. What joy! Blessings ~ Patricia

12:10 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

I love looking at a snowfall through my kids' eyes. It happens so seldom here that it's magical each time.

Now that your boys have assumed the adolescent apathy toward it, maybe God's giving you some time to keep it all to yourself?

I just love the photos! It makes the snow seem more like lace rather than a blanket.

12:58 PM  
Blogger Full Contact, Savior-centric Livin said...

Snow--wonderful! But I choose not to envy you. Warm winters can be a blessing, too. My neighbors went surfing a couple of weeks ago.

I like your photos!

Carmen
www.mywordwrites.blogspot.com

3:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home