Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Stepping Heavenward

The first book of 2006 just might be the most formative. Stepping Heavenward is the journal of a woman and tells the story of her Christian journey in sanctification and growth in grace and truth.

Katy's first entry is made on January 15, 1831, her 16th birthday, and so begins the tale of her life, her new life in Christ, her struggles with faith and doctrine, her marriage, her children--the stuff of which life consists. The last entry is on June 30, 1858, so it covers over 25 years of her life. The people that God placed in her life to help her are as memorable as Katy, herself.

As I read through Katy's experiences, I could identify so strongly with her feelings and emotions! Some of her struggles were of a different nature than mine, others I struggle with as well, but regardless, her responses and the lessons learned are so amazingly similar. The work of sanctification is a journey--sometimes two steps forward and one step back (or one step forward and two steps back!) and yet it is Christ who sanctifies us in His providential timing and in His wise, judicious ways and, therefore, we can rest as we struggle onward, Stepping Heavenward.

I wholeheartedly recommend this book to you! It is published by Lamplighter Publishing and is part of their Rare Collector's Series.

Thanks to my friend, Carol, for recommending and lending it to me. I will be getting my own copy, for this is a book that I will want to read, in full and in part, as I continue to Step Heavenward.

Stepping Heavenward
Mrs. E. Prentiss
Lamplighter Publishing, 1997
Waverly, PA
A Division of Cornerstone Family Ministries

2 Comments:

Blogger Donna Boucher said...

This book is on my all time favorite books! I grew along with Katy!

Here is a cute thing that my sister noticed. Katy was often bed ridden when she was younger...I didn't notice...but my sister did...a baby was always born after her 'illnesses'.

Every young woman (and older :o) should read this book!

10:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I completely agree. A friend recommended this to me when I was still in college, and I enjoyed it so much.

12:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home