Saturday, January 07, 2006

Bloggy Thoughts

When I began blogging I was so innocent. I had no idea about how the world of blogging works. I was completely in the dark about all the many and varied ways one can hitch one's wagon to the "big boys" in order to gain readership. I didn't know that there would be huge blogosphere debates. In many ways, I think I still am still in the dark. But now I am not so much in the dark that I cannot have my feelings hurt.

I have said before on several occasions that blogging is a little bit like chopping veggies with a brand new set of chef knives--eventually someone is going to get hurt and today it is me. But you know, that is a good thing because it has caused me to re-examine why I started to blog in the first place. And whether my feelings should be hurt after all.

My first exposure to blogging was when I "happened" to providentially follow a link from somewhere to Rebecca Writes. I found the website friendly, warm, welcoming and mentally stimulating. As I read some things started sounding vaguely familiar, I began to realize that I actually may "know" this blogger! I emailed her to see and, sure enough, I learned that Rebecca of Rebecca Writes is indeed one of my first and dearest internet friends with whom I had lost contact through various moves and multiple computer crashes. Becky, as I knew her then, was instrumental in helping me to understand the doctrines of grace. She was (and is) so generous with her time and her knowledge and I am still very grateful for that but most of all for her friendship.

And so after reading her blog for several months, I began to wonder if blogging would be something I could do. After a month or so of thinking it through, I decided to give it a whirl. My reasons for starting a blog were simple and few:
I wanted to have a way to share my life with my family and friends.

I wanted to make some new friends.

I wanted to make a record of daily life for my kids and the grand children I am looking forward to having someday.

I wanted to be able to "talk out loud" about the things I am thinking about and the things I am reading.

I wanted to be able to share my faith in Christ and encourage others.
If I have managed to do any of these things, then I have blogged for the right reasons. And I realize now that there is really no need for hurt feelings (silly things that they are) unless, of course, they cause one to think about what really matters.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I know that I truly enjoy reading your blog and always appreciate your comments.

If not for blogging, we might never have "met," and that would have been a shame.

12:41 PM  
Blogger Kim from Hiraeth said...

Oh, Grace! I am so thankful to have "met" you, too!

The truth is, when I visited your blog this morning, my mind and heart were in a turmoil, but after reading your gentle, grace filled comments on your blog, I began to be able to think through what I was feeling. I know you didn't realise that when you left your comments here, but it's true.

1:20 PM  
Blogger Rebecca Stark said...

Ooooh....I'm sorry you had your feelings hurt.

At least you made me feel good today!

1:43 PM  
Blogger Kim from Hiraeth said...

That makes me happy!

2:51 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

I'm sorry you were hurt, Kim! That has happened to me, too. I am so happy that you and I have connected. As for those who want to be hurtful, well, as my hubby's Grandma used to say, tell them to "Fluffle Up a Gum Tree.:

4:31 PM  
Blogger Kim from Hiraeth said...

Fluffle Up a Gum Tree!!! That is so funny! I'm going to write that one down--and try it out on someone when they least expect it. (that will probably be Jake; he's the one I usually want to "fluffle up a gum tree")
:)

I'm glad I've gotten to know you, too!

You know, that person probably has no idea in the world that what was said could hurt my feelings. As I've thought this through some more it makes me realize that I need to be so generous with other people and their possible intentions. And it also makes me realize that I am probably just dense enough to say something unintentional that might hurt someone else. I pray that God would help me to use wisdom and grace in all my interactions--online and off.

(do you think that means I can't tell Jake to "fluffle up a gum tree"?)

4:52 PM  
Blogger Donna Boucher said...

You have certainly shared you faith and encouraged me....and give me some dandy decorating ideas :o)

Donna

6:34 PM  
Blogger Kim from Hiraeth said...

Hi Donna,

What a blessing it is for me to think that I have in any way encouraged "the encourager."

Thank you for your kind words, Donna.

10:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home