Friday, December 23, 2005

Happy Birthday to Me

Today is my birthday. And not just any birthday. Today I turn 50.

When I was in about the third grade, I remember sitting at my desk and "doing the math." How old will I be in the year 2000? What year will it be when I turn 50? 65? 75? I sat there and looked down at my little girl hands poised over the wide-ruled paper and wondered what they would look like "when I get old." I really did that.

My hands are aging. I've gained more than a few pounds. I see the beginnings of silver in my hair and I don't even want to describe what is happening to my neck! Too often now I am stiff and sore for no apparent reason. I am aging. Even so, when I look in the mirror I am surprised.

My grandmother told me it would be like that. She said that no matter how old you get, inside you will still feel like a young girl. She was right. I have no idea how old the girl inside of me is. She seems ageless and yet she seems to be young. I wonder if that is so because that is my "eternal age"--the age I will experience forever in glory. My grandma thought so.

I haven't posted a picture of myself on my blog yet. I don't like pictures of myself--ask anyone who tries to take one! But today it seems like something I want to do:






I don't know what I'll look like 5, 10, or 25 years from now, nor indeed how many years I yet have on this side of heaven, but "whoever" looks back at me through that mirror will see "me" and I'll still feel young. My grandma said so.

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to YOU! I was wondering if you would put a note about your special day on the blog. I am touched by your comments. Your voice is audible to me through the words, just as if you are here with a mug of coffee in your hand. Tears flow now, as I long for your company... and cherish the moments we've had together. So glad God put you in my life. I pray your day is filled with love and laughter.

Be blessed this day,
Ann-Marie

10:01 AM  
Blogger Rebecca Stark said...

You look wonderful, and you were an awfully cute little squirt as well.

Happy Birthday!

10:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen, Anne-Marie! Have I got an amazing sister or what?! I love you Kim! Happy Birthday! Kathy

1:15 PM  
Blogger Kim from Hiraeth said...

It's been a wonderful birthday! Just got home from seeing The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe--more to follow. . .loved it!

Thanks for the birthday wishes!

3:48 PM  
Blogger Donna Boucher said...

Happy birthday Kim!

You are beautiful.... and you have always been beautiful!

Thank you for sharing your pictures!

50 looks great on you!

Donna

4:16 PM  
Blogger Kim from Hiraeth said...

Oh, Donna. That's sweet! That picture was taken last May at our son's college graduation but it's the most recent one I could find. Like I said, I don't like to have my picture taken!

9:27 PM  
Blogger missmellifluous said...

Happy Birthday Kim! I hope you have a great day and I pray that your year ahead is filled with a love and closer walk with God.

You are beautiful! And I would not worry about the silvery hairs coming when they do, for, as Proverbs 16:31 says "Gray hair is a crown of splendor; it is attained by a righteous life." I can't wait for the silver to creep in if it means I have lead a righteous life.

God Bless you beautiful Kim!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

12:18 AM  
Blogger Kim from Hiraeth said...

Aw, thanks, mm.

It was a delightful birthday. God has blessed me with a wonderful, loving family and exceptional dear, dear friends.

7:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aren't you just the cutest thing! Madeleine L'engle writes about being all the ages she's already been, that she can find the ten-year-old within, the 20--30--year-old-etc. because those still belong to her. I don't think you're old now, and I don't think you ever will be old, though your body might wear out like an old suit of clothes.

7:34 AM  
Blogger Kim from Hiraeth said...

I like the way she puts that; those ages still belong to us, don't they?

I think it is intriguing the way the 10 year old pops in one's memory when one least expects it. A sound, a smell, even the look of the sunshine as it comes through the window can bring back memories. . .

11:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy late birthday Kim!!!!

10:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I miss you so much, and wish you still lived here in town-I sure enjoyed the pictures-it was if as I was sitting next to you right now. I especially liked the one of you as a little girl on the phone!!
Hope you had a happy day, I am a few days late checking out your birthday blog entry. God bless you today and every day, my Dear!

8:31 PM  
Blogger Kim from Hiraeth said...

Thanks, Sally! I miss you, too!

8:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home