Thursday, December 15, 2005

An Early Christmas Present

Before the first frost I got a call from my friend and neighbor, Sharon, asking me if I would winter over her two prized hibiscus plants in my sunroom. I warned her that I don't seem to be able to keep houseplants alive for very long, but she figured it was worth a try--after all, if they stayed outside they would surely die. At least they'd have a chance. (Fat chance, I thought to myself. . .)

She brought over two of the saddest looking plants I have ever seen. Sharon is a real gardener--she believes in pruning. These plants were nothing but sticks when she brought them to me in October. Not a leaf on them.

(picture taken in November--thanks to sister Kathy for remembering it!)

I've been delighted that over the course of the weeks they've been living with me, not only have they NOT died, they have put out a full complement of leaves.

Last evening I went into the sunroom to turn on the table lamp and there it was: a huge bud. I was like a kid leading up to Christmas morning, wondering if it would actually bloom and if so, would it be the red or the yellow.

This morning I could tell that it would be red and this afternoon, as you can see, the wait is over! Isn't it gorgeous?


4 Comments:

Blogger Donna Boucher said...

Well...
If ever I saw a Christmas Picture Book in the making...you have one here!

Just beautiful!

6:57 PM  
Blogger missmellifluous said...

What a great story. It's like the plant is giving you a beautiful Christmas present. Last year my Mango tree gave me it's first fruit for Christmas, so I know your excitement!

Great plant sitting! Well done.

6:58 PM  
Blogger Kim from Hiraeth said...

What fun to have a mango tree! And how strange and wonderful it would be for us who live in the northern hemisphere to pick fruit from a tree at Christmas!

Will you post a picture of your mango tree on your blog sometime? I'd love to see it!

Wish I could send you some of our snow and icicles in exchange for a home grown mango! Now that would be something!

8:45 PM  
Blogger missmellifluous said...

Ooh! My boys and I would LOVE some snow and icicles for christmas! That would be AMAZING! I can't imagine a white christmas. We usually head for the pool or the beach.

You'd be welcome to a mango. Not that my tree is very forthcoming this year. I don't think it's had enough rain or sun or something. My brother's tree is more fruitful. Lucky christmas is at his house this year. I'll snaffle one of his mangoes for you!

I'll post a picture for you one day for sure. But don't expect a massive tree. Mine is still a baby.

5:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home