Saturday, October 08, 2005

Contentment

Contentment is a divine thing: It becomes ours, not by acquisition, but infusion; it is a slip taken off from the tree of life, and planted by the spirit of God in the soul; it is a fruit that grows not in the garden of philosophy, but is of a heavenly birth: it is therefore very observable that contentment is joined with godliness, and is profitable: "godliness with contentment is great gain" (1 Tim.6:6).

Contentment is an intrinsical thing: Contentment hath both fountain and stream in the soul…Thieves may plunder us of our money and plate, but not of this pearl of contentment, unless we are willing to part with it, for it is locked up in the cabinet of the heart; the soul which is possessed of this rich treasure of contentment, is like Noah in the ark, that can sing in the midst of a deluge"

Contentment is a habitual thing: It shines with a fixed light in the firmament of the soul. Contentment does not appear only now and then, as some stars which are seen but seldom; it is a settled attitude of the heart.


Thomas Watson, the Art of Divine Contentment (1855)

4 Comments:

Blogger Kim said...

I wonder how many of us can say that our contentment is habitual?

7:45 PM  
Blogger Kim from Hiraeth said...

Hi Kim!

Welcome to my blog! I enjoy reading yours daily.

I posted that quote because I was thinking of it in light of the Christians's longing for heaven. Habitual contentment and constant longing seem to be mutually exclusive, don't they?

I'll be posting my thoughts about contentment later today, so check back later!

Again, welcome! I look forward to your input here!

11:08 AM  
Blogger Kim from Hiraeth said...

So, Kim, any anyone else,

Do you agree with Watson that "It becomes ours, not by acquisition, but infusion"

I've been thinking about this alot. It seems as though he is saying that contentment is a spiritual reality, and a part of our regeneration. Hmmm. Pretty sure I don't agree with this.

I am still thinking about the whole habitual thing. If, by habitual, he means consistant, without wavering, then boy, am I in trouble. But if he means that, when we sense discontent we turn to Christ habitually, then I think he's got a point.

Anyway, I'm thinking outloud.

Anyone?

4:53 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

I think contentment is something that is a time-related thing. I think as we see God's faithfulness, we learn to be more content. I often wonder of being content, for a young person, is such a stretch because they are more impatient.

6:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home